Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The lesson gets more and more serious…

After learning about all the tales, myths, legends and fables, the lesson continued with more serious stuffs like autobiography, diaries, letters, as well as speech. In autobiography, I was introduced to ‘The autobiography of Nelson Mandela – The Long Walk to Freedom’. Learning the autobiography also, I have learnt about why do people write autobiography, how trustworthy are autobiographies, are autobiographies educational or entertainment, as well as learnt whether autobiography could be used in language classroom. After that, I learnt about ‘The Andy Warhol Diaries’. Frankly speaking, I was really clueless about who he was until we discussed about his diaries in class. Besides, I also learnt about Kafka Diaries, which I found very interesting because he had a different view on education. When I first read his diaries and came to the line, “…education has done me great harm in some respect.’ it has really caught my attention and made me wanted to read more and more about his life. Then, the lesson moved on to Keat’s letters to Fanny Brawne. Last but not least, the latest lesson we had was on speech from Martin Luther King, Jr, entitled “I Have a Dream”. To me, this speech was a fabulous literary masterpiece. In fact, he has a strong emotion and spirit in his speech. There are still a few articles left that we do not discuss in class like the essays on ‘Shooting an Elephant’, ‘The Common Reader’, and ‘What I Believe’. However, I still did my own reading on them since I have bought the book. So, it will be a waste if I do not use it to its fullest.

No comments: