Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Discovering of different genres in literature

After gone through this course for the whole semester, I have learnt different genres in literature such as tales, myths, legends, fables, autobiography, diaries, letters, as well as speech. All of these genres vary in their own ways. At the beginning of the semester, I have learnt about Ovid, ‘Daedalus and Icarus’. We have discussed in depth about this tale in class. Then, I also did my own reading on the stories of ‘The Son of the Turtle-spirit’ and ‘Le Mort d’ Arthur’. Honestly, I found out that the story of ‘The Son of the Turtle-spirit’ is intesting but unfortunately, ‘Le Mort d’ Arthur’ was not very appealing for me. Maybe it was because the story was rather long. Therefore, I have to force myself to finish reading it. Then , I was also been asked to read the Aesop’s fables, ‘The Fox and the Crow’, ‘The Jay and the Peacock’ as well as ‘Androcles’, which I found very interesting and taught a lot of moral values. Apart from that, we also discussed about Ovid metamorphosis, ‘Pyramus and Thisbe’ in class. Actually, I have learnt about this story much earlier during my foundation course, which was through the play ‘Midsummer night’s dream’. Thus, when we discussed about this story, I have already had the basic knowledge about the story. When I reflected back of what I have learnt through out the first part of the semester, I found out that everything that I have learnt are quite interesting and lighter compared to the second part, which is more serious. This is because they are easier to understand compared to autobiography, diaries, letters and so on, which deal with serious issues and true stories.

No comments: